Currency options trading (or currency trading options) has increased considerably over the past couple of years due to globalization. World currency options trading involves the buying and selling of the rights to buy and sell a specific amount of a particular currency during any given time period. Options are derivative financial instruments. That only means that there is no true underlying value in the option, such as when you buy a stock ownership in a company or a real property investment, but you are only buying the right to purchase or sell a currency at a certain price for a certain period of time. Once that time period expires and you have not reached or surpassed your price (the strike price) to put you in the money, then your option expires.
What You Need to Know Before going into Foreign Currency Options Trading
1. You need to be realistic. Although we all want to make loads of money in options trading and online Forex investment, you need to be realistic when trading in any investment area, whether it is options, stocks, property investments or Forex investments. If you are not, you might end up losing your initial capital investment quickly. There are many traders who start currency options trading and are filled with high hopes and dreams of quick wealth who end up failing because they relied on luck, instinct and their high hopes to construct their trades. Although these are great traits to have, it is crucial that you make sound and informed decisions and treat currency options trading as a business, not a hobby.
2. Never trade with money that you do not have or trade with money that you cannot live without. Do not use money that you cannot afford to lose, because all traders have losses.
3. Always be informed and updated on the latest news, best Forex or currency options trading systems on the market, and what other traders think of strategies, brokers, systems, etc. Even when you have a great Forex or stock broker, you still need to make sure that you understand everything that your broker is saying to make sure that you will be able to make your own decisions based on the broker’s recommendation. Do a lot of reading and research to get the information you need to be a smart currency options trader. Do not blindly take any broker’s recommendation without understanding the rationale behind that recommendation.
4. Another thing you need to remember in the currency options trading is that you need to concentrate on the economy of the currencies that you are trading in (fundamental analysis) as well as the technical analysis that your trading system helps with. Also make sure that you are always current with Forex market news and international trade. There are significant currency news announcements each month, such as the Non-Farm Payroll, and you need to know the times and dates that these announcements are released (ForexFactory.com is a great site for Forex news announcement schedules).
5. Always stick to your original plan. Because it is very easy to be swayed when you are trading currencies, make sure you strictly follow the rules of your tested and proven trading system. Once you have a profitable system that you have proven to be successful in back testing, in demo trading, and in live trading, then stick with it. Adjust your money management techniques to gain the most profit while reducing losses.
6. Finally, consider hiring a reputable broker. However, be very careful when making your choice as you need to trust and communicate well with your broker to get the best results. The National Futures Association (NFA) and other Forex regulatory agencies due provide compliance information, penalties, capitalization amounts, and other important broker information for you to use in investigating which Forex brokers to get an account with. Also, look closely at the trading platform to make sure you will be able to use it. If you have already purchased a trading system, make sure that it is compatible with your broker’s trading platform. For example, a system that uses MetaTrader indicators cannot be used on the MB Trading FXNavigator trading platform (although MB Trading now also has a MetaTrader platform that can be used for trading). ACM Forex, MB Trading and Dukascopy are some of my favorite brokers, but it also depends on your trading style. Ask right from the start if your broker allows scalping and other quick in-and-out strategies that some brokers restrict.
Looking for a reputable currency options trading broker? Check out the customer reviews of Forex brokers at ForexPeaceArmy.com.